The Indy 500 is one of the most significant events in Indianapolis. It’s an iconic race with a storied history. Suppose you want to attend the race or hang out in the city race weekend and watch the race from the comfort of vacation rentals in Indianapolis. In that case, you need to book directly with Five Star Property. We have properties in various sizes and locations all over Indianapolis. These are some things to know about Indianapolis vacation rentals and the Indy 500 before your visit to get you up to speed.
What Is The Indy 500?
The Indy 500 is an annual event at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Speedway, Indiana. The track is nicknamed the “Brickyard” because the racing surface was paved in brick in 1909. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is an oval track that resembles an oval when looking from above.
What Happens On Race Day?
On race day, the drivers race 200 laps counter-clockwise around the circuit. As the name implies, the drivers will run for a distance of 500 miles.
When Is The Indy 500?
The race typically takes place on Sunday, Memorial Day weekend. Memorial Day generally has been a big day for race fans as the Indy 500 takes place alongside the Coca-Cola 600 and the Monaco Grand Prix.
What Are Some Indy 500 Facts?
The Indy 500 has had more than 100 races, so there is a lot of history behind the event. These are some of the more interesting facts about the Indy 500.
- The race is part of the “Triple Crown of Motorsport,” which consists of the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the Formula 1 Monaco Grand Prix.
- The event was put on hold only two times in its existence. Once from 1917 to 1918 due to World War I and then from 1942 to 1945 due to World War II.
- Qualifying is unique for the Indy 500. A driver must finish four timed laps throughout a separate weekend from the race.
- An IndyCar is on the state quarter for Indiana.
- Since 1936, every Indy 500 winner has been offered a choice of a bottle of whole, two percent, and skim milk to drink on the podium.
Come Visit For Race Weekend
See and hear what all the excitement is about in Indianapolis when it’s race weekend for the Indy 500 in your Indianapolis vacation rentals. Whether in the crowd or back at your vacation rental from Five Star Property, you will have an exciting weekend. We offer many options, from economical to luxury. We aim to ensure each race fan has a beautiful experience! We also have homes in the U.S.A., Costa Rica, and Mexico. If you want to book directly with us or hear more about our vacation rentals, head to our website or call us at 310-902-4133.